Bacon-Wrapped Armadillo Eggs: A brand-new crowd favorite.
This Bacon-Wrapped Armadillo Egg recipe combines all your favorite ingredients into one small package.
If you’ve never heard of armadillo eggs, it probably won’t take long to convince you that this is a recipe you need in your life. Let’s just start by listing the key ingredients: bacon, cream cheese, jalapeños and Italian sausage. Is your mouth watering yet? We thought so. Stop what you’re doing and get ready to indulge in some Bacon-Wrapped Armadillo Eggs.
With so many delicious ingredients in these Armadillo Eggs, it’s hard to believe they might need something extra. But believe us, you’ll like our Smokin’ Applewood All-Purpose Rub. This championship rub can be defined as “sweet, with just a little heat.” It’s also great on brisket, chicken, pork or fish.
Both this recipe and the recipe for our Smokin’ Applewood All-Purpose Rub were dreamt up by Bill Gillespie of Smokin’ Hoggz BBQ. Bill’s a real-deal pitmaster with 20 grand championships to his name. If you’re trying to put together a championship-worthy menu, you might consider listening to everything Bill’s got to say.
Perfect Pairings for Bacon-wrapped Armadillo Eggs
Armadillo Eggs could easily be a meal all by themselves, but they’re also perfect as a complement to any number of classic BBQ recipes. Here are a couple of our favorites:
- Island Grilled Shrimp Skewers: A nice light favorite that pairs well with a cold beer and a summery sunset.
- Portobello Caprese Burger: Get ready for a burger with some big flavor. Between the juicy tomatoes, the meaty mushrooms and the Twist’d Q Bangin’ Chophouse Burger Seasoning, your taste buds are gonna be working overtime.
Whatever you pair your Armadillo Eggs with, you’ll no doubt have a winning menu at your next backyard BBQ.
Kitchen Utility Knife
Medium Size Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl
8 oz Cream Cheese
1 Cup Cheddar Cheese
2 Garlic Cloves, finely diced
6 Jalapeños (cut in half, then each side cut in half)
1 pound sausage
1 pound ground Italian sausage
1/2 pound ground chorizo
Twist’d Q™ Smokin’ Applewood All-Purpose Rub (Currently in stores as American Royal Smokey Applewood Rub™)
24 slices bacon
1 Cup Ranch Dressing
- Heat your smoker to 250º degrees Fahrenheit/121º Celsius.
- Mix together the cream cheese, cheddar cheese and garlic until well blended. Taste and add salt if needed.
- Remove the stems from the jalapeños and cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and then cut the sliced jalapeños in half, so one jalapeno should get you 4 quarters.
- Place about a teaspoon of the cream cheese filling in each jalapeño quarter.Take about 1/3 cup of the sausage and pat it into a 3-inch circle and place the stuffed jalapeño in the center of the sausage.
- Wrap the sausage around the stuffed jalapeno until it’s completely covered, and form into an egg shape.
- Wrap each egg with one strip of bacon making sure the seam is down.
- Season each egg with Smokin’ Applewood Rub.
- Place sausage-wrapped jalapeños directly on the top grate of smoker.
- Cook for 1-1 ½ hours, or until the sausage is cooked.
- Serve with Ranch Dressing.
Recipe by Smokin’ Hoggz BBQ
Ken Goodman Photography