1 lb (16 slices) Thick sliced Pork Bacon
1/4 Cup Honey, warmed slightly
2 Tbsp Twist’d Q™ Sweet Mesquite Chicken Rub (Currently in stores as American Royal Chicken Rub™)
1/3 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 325º degrees Fahrenheit/165º Celsius.
- Place a cooking rack in a half sheet pan.
- Place honey in saucepan and set over low heat to warm.
- Lightly brush the bacon with the warmed honey.
- Sprinkle the bacon lightly with Sweet Mesquite Rub.
- Sprinkle the bacon with the brown sugar.
- Gently press the seasoning and the sugar into the bacon using the fingertips.
- Flip the bacon and repeat steps 5,6 and 7.
- Arrange the bacon on the cooking rack.
- Place the sheet pan and rack into the oven and cook until all the sugar melts and the bacon is slightly crispy.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let the strips cool for 3 minutes.
- Using tongs transfer strips to a platter and serve.
- If Pig Candy needs to be re-warmed, do it in a slow oven set at 175 º degrees Fahrenheit /80º Celsius and warm for about 5 minutes. This will also allow any congealed surface fat to melt down and restore the sheen to the bacon.
- Aluminum saucepans react negatively with vinegar or citrus juices and produce off flavors. Use stainless steel pans or enameled pans wherever possible.
Patrick McDonnell Photography