The Crispiest Grilled Mojo Chicken Thighs
This mojo chicken thigh recipe makes flavor magic.
When it comes to grilled chicken, it seems like breasts and wings get all the love. We’re here to remind you that the thigh can be the most flavorful part of the bird. And once you give it a little bit of Mojo, the taste gets taken out of this world. The next time you’re thinking chicken, think about these Crispy Grilled Mojo Chicken Thighs.
What makes chicken thighs so delicious? Well, there’s a bit of extra fat content. Much like marbling in a nice steak, the fat adds some extra tenderness and flavor. Though chicken thighs might be a slightly less diet-friendly option than the chicken breast, the flavor makes up for it.
What gives our Hooked On Citrus Cuban Seasoning its magic? That’s a great question. There’s a lot going on in that little bottle. Hooked On Citrus Cuban combines traditional Latin spices blended with coconut sugar, coarse sea salt, garlic and cumin. Not to mention that intense pop of orange, lime and cilantro. This Cuban flair mixes really well with the juiciness of the dark meat.
How to Properly Prepare and Cook the Crispiest Grilled Mojo Chicken Thighs
Before seasoning and grilling, trim any excess skin from the chicken thighs. This will prevent flare-ups when the chicken is sitting over the fire. No more burnt chicken or singed eyebrows.
You’ll know the chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees. When measuring temperature, make sure your thermometer is touching the meat, not the bone.
Now let’s round out the dish.
Try serving chicken thighs on a complementing bed of grilled onions and citrus fruits. Simply toss sliced onions and fruit with a little olive oil and a few shakes of Hooked On Citrus Cuban Seasoning. Wrap the onion-citrus mixture in a 12-inch square piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Place the foil packet on the grill grate over the lit part of the grill during the last 20 minutes of cooking the chicken thighs.
8 (4 to 6 ounce) bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
2 Tbsp plus 2 tsp Twist’d Q™ Hooked on Citrus Cuban Seasoning
1 large lime, cut in wedges
- Sprinkle the chicken thighs with Citrus Cuban Seasoning. Preheat a gas or charcoal grill on medium-high heat.
- Place thighs, skin side down, on a well oiled, hot grill grate. Cook the chicken, covered, turning once halfway through cooking, for 10 minutes.
- Turn off all but 1 burner on the grill. Transfer the chicken to grill grate over unlit part of grill. Continue cooking chicken, covered, turning once halfway through cooking, approximately 20-25 minutes until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh (without touching bone) reaches 165°F.
- Serve with a side of lime wedges dipped in Citrus Cuban Seasoning.
- Use 1 tsp Citrus Cuban Seasoning per 4- to 6-ounce chicken thigh.
- Trim any excess skin from chicken thighs before seasoning to prevent flareups.
- Pat the chicken thighs with paper towel before applying the seasoning to ensure the surface is dry for crispier skin.
- Try serving chicken thighs on a complementing bed of grilled onions and citrus fruits. Simply toss sliced onions and fruit with a little olive oil and a few shakes of Citrus Cuban Seasoning. Wrap the onion-citrus mixture in a 12-inch square piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Place the foil packet on the grill grate over the lit part of the grill during the last 20 minutes of cooking the chicken thighs.
- To roast the chicken thighs in the oven, line a rimmed baking pan with aluminum foil and place a roasting rack on top (or use a broiler pan). Spray the rack (or broiler pan) with nonstick cooking spray. Place the seasoned chicken thighs, skin side up, on the rack. Roast in a 400°F oven 40 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the chicken without touching bone reaches 165°F.