1 whole chicken (5-6 pounds)
1 can of your favorite beer
3 cloves garlic, minced
Twist’d Q™ Smokin’ Applewood Master Rub (Currently in stores as American Royal Smokey Applewood Rub™)
2 chunks apple wood
- Heat your smoker to 275º degrees Fahrenheit/135º Celsius.
- Clean chicken thoroughly, inside and out. Remove any unwanted parts.
- Open the beer can and consume half of the beer (you don’t want to waste it), and add garlic to the remaining beer.
- Slide the chicken onto the can of beer, legs pointing down, so that the can supports the chicken upright (like a tripod).
- Generously apply the Smokin’ Applewood Rub.
- Place the can with the chicken on the bottom cooking grate (the chicken may be too tall for the top grate)
- Smoke chicken until cooked through. I recommend using an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh. When it registers to 175º degrees Fahrenheit/80º Celsius or to 165º degrees Fahrenheit/74º Celsius in the breast (roughly 2-3 hours), your chicken is done. You can tell it’s done when you see clear liquid coming out of where you probed it.
- Let chicken rest 10 minutes before carving.
Recipe by Smokin’ Hoggz BBQ
Ken Goodman Photography