Smothering Mix Ingredients
4 Strips Pork Bacon
1 Ea Yellow Onion
1 Ea Red Bell Pepper
2 tsp Canola Oil
1 Cup Mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced
1/2 Cup Tomato, top of core removed, cut in 1/4” dice
2 x 6 oz Chicken Breasts, boneless and skinless
1 Tbsp Canola Oil
2 Tbsps Twist’d Q™ Sweet Mesquite Chicken Rub (Currently in stores as American Royal Chicken Rub)
1/2 Cup Smothering Mix* – see recipe above
4 Ea. Pepper Jack Cheese, sliced
1/4 Cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
Smothering Mix Directions
- Slice bacon into ¼” wide strips lengthwise and then cross cut into 1/4” squares.
- Peel and trim the yellow onions and cut into 1/4” dice.
- Stem and seed red bell pepper and cut into strips 1/4” wide.
- Heat the Canola oil in a sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and bacon and sauté until lightly caramelized, turning as needed.
- Add the red bell pepper, mushrooms, and sauté, stirring frequently until the liquid released by the mushrooms has evaporated.
- Stir in the tomatoes.
- Remove from direct heat and reserve.
- Pre-heat the grill.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350º degrees Fahrenheit/175º Celsius.
- Place chicken breasts on the baking pan.
- Lightly brush both sides of each breast with some Canola oil.
- Generously season both sides of each breast with Sweet Mesquite Rub.
- Place the breasts on the grill.
- Grill the breasts, turning with tongs as needed until they reach an internal temperature of 160º Fahrenheit/70º degrees Celsius.
- Place breasts, breast side up on the second baking pan.
- Spoon the warm Smothering Mix* over each breast.
- Cover each breast with 2 slices of Pepper Jack cheese.
- Place the baking pan in the oven and melt cheese.
- Transfer the Smothered Chicken* to plates using the spatula.
- Serve with your favorite BBQ sauce on the side.
- Aluminum saucepans react negatively with vinegar or citrus juices and produce off flavors. Use stainless steel pans wherever possible.
- Temperature Check by inserting a meat thermometer into the thickest area of the breast.
Patrick McDonnell Photography